To celebrate National Coffee Day, we chatted with Phil of the beloved Bay Area institution—Philz Coffee. Voted Best Coffee in San Francisco, Philz is the coffee we’re proud to serve onboard all our flights.
1) For those of our guests who aren’t familiar with Philz Coffee, tell us a bit about yourself and Philz history.
I’ve always had a passion for coffee, and that passion has driven me to create the many custom blends I love to share with the world.
2) What makes Philz such a popular choice among Bay Area denizens?
Philz has cultivated a committed following due to our unique, fresh way of serving coffee, first. But second, we provide an environment dedicated to making our guests feel comfortable, and we focus on customer service. All of our locations are like your grandmother’s house.
3) Since this is your first foray into the mile-high coffee business, what drew you to Virgin America?
I have flown on many different airlines, but the best experience I’ve had on an airline has been on Virgin America. I wanted the best airline I’ve flown to use the best coffee I can make.
4) We know each blend is a “Cup of Love,” but we’d love to hear how you chose the brew we currently serve our guests at 35,000 feet?
My personal favorite is the Tesora blend. It was my first true love and, coincidentally, it’s also the blend served onboard every Virgin America flight. It is my hope that the choice of coffee will let Virgin America guests get a sneak peek into what Philz is about.
5) For virgin Philz Coffee drinkers, any recommendations on what to order when they visit one of your many stores in the Bay Area?
Be adventurous! Our baristas know their coffee so don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. Depending on your coffee craving, they’ll be sure to steer you in the right direction.
Bonus Round: Other than stopping by to fuel up at Philz, what are three must-visit destinations in San Francisco?
Fisherman’s Wharf, the Cliff House and the always cool Coit Tower. The whole city is only 7 miles by 7 miles, so tour it all!